Homemade Pizza

I have become obsessed with homemade pizza recently. I seriously can't get enough of it, and it's something I love making as much as I enjoy eating. I find this recipe is even better as reheated leftovers.

The recipe makes enough for a 14in pizza.

To make the dough (to be made in a bread machine - recipe from Russell Hobbs):
160ml tepid water
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp dried milk powder
320g strong white flour (I use half whole wheat and half white)
1/2 sachet dried active yeast

1. Add the tepid water to the tin. Follow this with the olive oil, salt, sugar and milk powder.
2. Add the strong flour to the tin, on top of the wet ingredients.
3. Finally add the yeast into the tin, on top of the flour.
4. Place the tin back in the machine and set the program to 'dough' or 'pizza dough' and press start.
5. When the cycle has finished, remove the dough from the machine and place onto a floured surface. Roll the dough into the desired shape and place onto a lightly oiled non-stick baking tray.
(my note: I like crispy, medium thick crust, so I bake my pizza dough for about 5-10 minutes before adding the toppings)


To make the sauce (recipe my own but inspired by an Italian friend):
2 tbsp olive oil
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 garlic cloves peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 onion roughly chopped
salt to taste
sugar to taste (if the tomatoes are particularly bitter)
1 tbsp mixed Italian herbs (I sometimes use more)

1. Heat olive oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and saute for a couple of minutes.
2. Add tomatoes, salt, sugar and herbs. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour the tomato sauce through a sieve into another saucepan, using the back of a spoon to squeeze all the juice from the tomato bits, onions and garlic. If the sauce seems slightly watery, you can continue simmering it to reduce it a bit.

While the dough is being made and the sauce is simmering, cook whatever meat you want on your pizza and prepare any vegetable toppings. Build the pizza using fresh or grated mozzarella and your favourite toppings (mine are sausage, red onion and fresh green chili peppers). Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust of the pizza is crispy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Once again, Kate, as Peter Cetera would say, you're the meaning in my life; you're the inspiration. You reminded me how reasonable it is to make your own making pizza dough. My hub and I had homemade pizza tonight and my neighbor got two hunks of pizza dough as a thank you for babysitting this morning.

gracias!
Anonymous said…
Awww, shucks, hefk. (bashful smile) Thanks!

I hope you enjoyed your pizza. And that your neighbour appreciated the great gift of pizza dough!

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe