zucchini carpaccio salad

The first recipe I've cooked in my new kitchen in Ithaca! It is a cute kitchen, red and white and just the right size, although I'm kind of curious to see how I'll navigate the tiny ancient oven that won't light properly.

It's still too hot to think about really cooking, though, so I did this cold salad from Smitten Kitchen (and arugula from my garden!). It was simple and good -- I don't trust myself to own a mandoline because I'd probably slice off an important finger or two, so I just tried to cut the zucchini extra-thin with a regular knife.

Adapted from Gourmet, July 2006

1 1/2 lb zucchini (about 3 large)*
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 lb arugula, stems discarded and leaves cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips (6 cups)
1 oz Parmigiano-Reggiano, coarsely grated (on large holes of a box grater; 1/2 cup)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of one lemon
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Special equipment: an adjustable-blade slicer

Cut zucchini crosswise into paper-thin slices with slicer.

Toss zucchini slices with 1 teaspoon salt in a large colander set over a bowl and let drain 20 minutes.

Rinse zucchini slices well, then drain, pressing gently on slices to extract any excess liquid. Pat zucchini slices dry with a kitchen towel.

Put arugula greens in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Drizzle 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil over greens and toss.

Arrange zucchini slices over arugula greens, then drizzle with remaining oil, lemon juice and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano and pepper.

* A delicious and colorful variation could include yellow summer squash, as well.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This sounds wonderful.
How did your very own homegrown arugula taste?
Unknown said…
I'm sitting here eating this salad right now, and it's fantastic.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe