Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins

From Joy the Baker. Alissa shared this blog with me and now I'm addicted to reading it regularly.

Makes 12-15 muffins

  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 cups oats
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cases or spray with nonstick cooking spray. I used a 9x9 pyrex dish (I can't find my bread pan and my muffin tin sucks...durr...)

In a large bowl combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a medium bowl combine applesauce, buttermilk, sugar, oil and egg. Make a well in dry ingredients and add applesauce mixture. Stir until just moist. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.

Bake for 16-18 minutes for muffins and if you do it in a baking dish expect to bake for about 30 minutes or so. I served mine with yogurt dotted with sliced bananas, toasted walnuts and a drizzle of maple syrup. Very yummy.

Comments

Kelly said…
p.s. Don't forget to toss the berries in a little flour or they'll sink to the bottom while baking.
gwen said…
Mm, these sound healthy and good... it's regular oats, right, not quick-cooking?
Kelly said…
Old fashioned oats. None of that instant oatmeal stuff.
gwen said…
OK, I made these last night, and they are UNBELIEVABLY good. They don't taste nearly as healthy as they are.

I also used frozen cherries, just because I had some leftover in the freezer, and they were excellent. I think these would work with just about any kind of fruit. YUM.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe