Frites

I've really, really been wanting steak frites from Mon Ami Gabi lately, but with two kiddos, it's sort of difficult to get over there these days. Especially since I try not to ask friends and family to watch both girls at once -- that's like a double whammy for whoever we've asked.
So, I set out to make my own for Valentine's Day. The fries were not the same as Mon Ami Gabi's, but they were good.

adapted from this recipe, only because I have a deep fryer


1 1/2 pounds russet (baking) potatoes
About 8 cups canola or peanut oil (I used peanut oil)
Kosher salt

Peel potatoes and cut into 1/4-inch-thick sticks. Rinse well, then soak in cold water, chilled, at least 2 hours.
Drain potatoes and pat dry thoroughly. Heat 2 1/2 inches canola oil to 275°F in a 4-to 5-quart heavy pot over medium heat. (Or in your deep fryer, if you've got one)
Fry potatoes in 2 batches, stirring once or twice, 3 minutes per batch (potatoes will not be golden), transferring with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Return oil to 275°F between batches.
Heat oil to 320°F. (I actually heated oil to 370, because that's what the fryer tells me is the best temp for potatoes) Refry potatoes in 2 batches, stirring once or twice, until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes per batch, transferring to fresh paper towels.
Sprinkle with kosher salt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe