Rhubarb Spiced Yogurt Cake

Ok, so this was almost the second epic cooking fail of the weekend, but I think I salvaged it. I don't usually post my cooking fails here, but this one actually tastes really good, even if it is not the most beautiful creation.

What happened to me: I took the cake out after 60 minutes and the toothpick test told me it was still undercooked in the center. I put it back in for another 15 minutes, and when I took it out again the toothpick came out clean and it was firm to the touch. I let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and when I flipped it out onto a cooling rack, it split open and oozed its liquid center all over the place. Luckily I had the cooling rack over a cutting board, so I just scraped everything into a pie plate and put it back in the oven. In this format it was more spread out - less height meant it cooked more evenly, and then I just broke it up into pieces. I don't know what I would do differently next time - maybe even make it in a pie plate from the beginning. That would probably work better. The problem I think is all the liquid that comes out of the rhubarb as it cooks down. Anyway, it looks a mess but it tastes really good, and because it has no eggs in it, I'm totally fine eating it even a little "wet." It really tastes good. :)

This is the description that came with the recipe: "Once baked in this extra moist cake, the rhubarb is sweet and sour and with the heat of the ginger spice and richness of cinnamon." Right. "Extra moist."


1 cup of self rising flour *
¾ cup of light sugar
1 cup of plain yogurt
1 tbsp of ground ginger
1 tbsp of cinnamon
3 tbsp of honey
2 big stalks of rhubarb chopped into cubes

1. Preheat the oven to 350, line a pan with baking paper or grease and flour
2. Mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon.
3. Add the yogurt & honey to the flour stir until combined.
4. Place half the cake mix into a lined loaf tin add the cubed raw rhubarb. Pour over the rest of the cake mix.
5. Bake for 1-1¼ hours
6. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Take the cake out of the pan and put it in a plastic bag, close the bag and allow it to cool completely. (I obviously did not get to this step, and I do not understand the purpose of this step, so do whatever you want here)

* If you do not have self-rising flour, you can use 1 cup of all-purpose flour plus 1 1/2 tsp baking powder plus 1/4 tsp salt.

Comments

Spice Rack said…
Great it looks delicious. Great blog you have there, spices you use are also the ones that are in my spice rack! great post!

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe