My daughter asked for a chocolate cake for her third birthday, so I used this delicious recipe from Simply Recipes. I made this exactly as Elise directed and it turned out great. Ingredients * 2 1/2 cups regular all-purpose flour, unsifted * 1/2 cup cocoa * 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder * 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda * 1 teaspoon salt * 1 teaspoon cinnamon * 3/4 cup soft butter * 2 cups sugar * 3 eggs * 2 teaspoons vanilla * 2 teaspoons grated orange peel * 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini * 1/2 cup milk * 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans * Glaze (directions follow) Method Preheat the oven to 350°F. 1 Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon; set aside. 2 With a mixer, beat together the butter and the sugar until they are smoothly blended. Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. With a spoon, stir in the vanilla, orange peel, and zucchini. 3 Alternat...
Well, close enough anyway. The Pine Club is probably Dayton's most famous restaraunt--not that Dayton is some culinary mecca or anything. This dressing is traditionally served on an iceberg lettuce salad with grated carrot (boring). It's a shame, really, since the dressing is so good but that's why it's better to eat it at home on the salad of your choice. I like it over a green salad with blue cheese, apples/pears and toasted walnuts/pecans, it's good with pasta salad and it's also good on Isaac's broccoli salad. Serves approximately 8. 1 C vegetable/canola oil 3/4 C cider vinegar 1/3 C white sugar 1 tsp salt 2 tsp garlic powder 1 scant tsp red pepper flakes You can mix this one of two ways: either pour it all into a mason jar, put on the lid and shake the heck out of it or do it up with your stick blender. I recommend using the stick blender. Either way it's delicious. Refrigerate leftovers and note that it keeps pretty well. I think I had my...
A few days ago, I posted a request for a tres leches cake recipe. I ended up finding several recipes online, of varying degrees of difficulty, and chose one that wasn't too easy (used a box of cake mix) or difficult (had a meringue topping that required stovetop cooking). Here's the recipe that I used: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1585317 I sprinkled the top with cinnamon, but I hear that fresh berries or caramel are also an acceptable garnish. To answer hefk's question, I was making this for a friend's birthday. He's originally from Mexico. We were doing steak and chorizo tacos (with homemade corn tortillas!) at another friend's house, and we were on tap for dessert. Enrique asked for something "creamy but not too sweet" and mentioned tiramisu. Since tiramisu doesn't really fit the Mexican "theme," Geoff and I decided on tres leches cake, a Latin American (I believe it's o...
Comments
Post a Comment