Sauteed Ham Steak Pineapple

Another favorite in the Morrison-Jackson Household. I like it because everything cooks up in a large skillet. There's some jockeying of materials from place to place -- reserve this, reserve that -- but that's ok with me, because I'm not dirtying too many dishes. This is super-yummy and pretty easy.

Sauteed Ham Steak Pineapple
(Sara Moulton, Food Network)

2 (1/2-inch thick) ham steaks (I use the ones without the bone)
4 T butter
1 T whole-grain mustard
3 8-oz cans pineapple chunks, reserve liquid
1/4 cup orange juice
1 T Dijon mustard
Salt, fresh ground black pepper

From ham steak, remove rind and trim off all but a 1/4-inch of outer fat. Cut ham into 4 serving pieces. (Note: the ham steaks I buy don't usually have a lot of fat, so I just cut 'em up and throw 'em in the skillet.)

In a large saute pan/skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 T butter. Add ham steaks; saute for 3 minutes each sidee, until they're lightly browned. Remove and reserve (cover with foil).

Blot pineapples as dry as possible. Add remaining 2 T butter to pan. Add pineapple and saute until the edges begin to caramelize, about 4-5 minutes. Remove pineapple and reserve. Add orange and pineapple juices to the pan and reduce by 1/2, about 5-6 minutes (always seems to take longer to me). Whisk in Dijon and whole-grain mustards. Transfer ham steaks back into the pan. Add pineapple chunks and toss. Heat through thoroughly. Season, to taste.

Comments

Unknown said…
6/12/20 - I find recipes are often just guidelines. Since I used fresh pineapple, there was no juice. I used some Mike’s hard lemonade instead, with fresh oj. I also had a really ripe banana that I sautéed with the pineapple. It got somewhat mushy, but tasted great. I will definitely make this again. I also served it with coconut rice, which added a nice sweetness to go with the tart lemon/orange flavor. Five star for sure.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe