Chocolate Drizzled Cherry Cookie Bars

I can't remember where I got this. I'll update if I figure it out. These were a big hit for a game-night treat, and also the next day for breakfast. Oats and fruit... counts as breakfast, right?

For the crust and crumb mixture:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I used regular whole wheat flour)
1 cup all-purpose flour (I omitted this and used 2 cups whole wheat flour instead)
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
20 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened

For the Filling:
21 oz can cherry pie filling
1 tsp almond extract

For the Drizzle:
3 oz chopped bittersweet chocolate


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To make the base:
In large mixing bowl, beat together flour, oats, sugar, butter and salt on low speed until combined and mixture is clumpy (I just mixed with a big spoon until clumpy). Set aside 1 1/2 cups of mixture). Scoop rest of mixture into a 9x13" baking dish. Press the crumbs down to form an even base. Bake until edges are very light brown -about 15 minutes (I baked a few minutes longer).

To make filling:
In the same mixing bowl, stir together the cherries and almond extract. Carefully spread the filling over the hot crust. Evenly scatter the top with the reserved crumb mixture. Place back in the oven and continue to bake until top is golden brown - about 30 minutes (I baked a few minutes longer). Remove and set on a wire rack to cool completely.

For the drizzle:
Melt chocolate. Drizzle over the top of the cooled bars and let sit until the chocolate has a chance to set before cutting.

Comments

Becky said…
Hey there, what temp do you use when baking? Also, I'm assuming preheating the oven is necessary?
Unknown said…
Also, 20 Tbsp of butter? Should that be 2?
These sound REALLY good. I'm going to make some this weekend.
Alissa said…
Doh. Sorry. I forgot "Preheat at 350."

And yes, that really is supposed to be 20 TBSP of butter. Frightening but true. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe