Indian Spinach and Tofu

Gwen moved away, and now it's harder to find an excuse to go to my favorite Indian buffet, even though it's next to a really good Indian market.
Usually I don't even think about it, but yesterday I was craving palak paneer. I didn't have any paneer, but I did have some tofu. This recipe was perfect.

Adapted from a recipe here.

2 boxes of frozen spinach, drained (I used one chopped, and one whole leaf)
1 lb of extra firm tofu
1 yellow onion, diced
3 smashed and chopped garlic cloves
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
2 inches of ginger, peeled and grated
1/2 tsp kosher salt (and then more later to taste)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp curry
1 Tbsp. coriander
1/2 tsp chile powder (I omitted, but will add next time, since Gaby didn't want to eat it anyway)
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 cup water

Drain your tofu. Squeeze it in between some paper towels or a clean dish cloth if need-be to get as much of the liquid out as you can.
The original recipes calls for cutting the tofu into 1-inch cubes and toss it with corn starch. Fry in butter until golden brown. I did this, but I feel like it gets sort of soggy in the crockpot. Next time, I won't bother.
Squeeze out all of the moisture from the spinach and dump it into your crockpot. Dice up the onion, and mince the garlic. Add that, too. Drain your garbanzo beans, and pour them in. Add all of the spices.
Stir in 1/2 cup of water.
Add the tofu to the very top of the spinach.
Cover and cook on low for about 4 hours. Serve over white rice, and scoop up with naan or pita.

Comments

Stephanie ODea said…
ooooh, I'm so glad that you made this! I think you're the only one so far... I always get nervous when I like things that it's a fluke.
thank you for posting!
xox
steph

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe