Slow cooker recipes -- lemon garlic chicken, pot roast

I get home from work between 5:30 and 6 p.m, and the kids are already clamoring for dinner. SuperDad Ernie has now taken on the task of finishing up whatever I start/plan for dinner, so that we can sit down to eat shortly after I walk in the door.
So we're using the slow cooker a lot, and I went and bought a new oval one that has a timer. Exciting!

Pot roast, slow cooker style
This was the best pot roast I've made to date, and the recipe I'll be using from now on. The kids devoured it.
adapted from The Kitchn

Throw all the following in your slow cooker, in the following order:

1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2-4 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
2-4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
2-4 cloves whole garlic, left in their skins
2-3 pounds beef - top round, bottom round, or shoulder (salt and peppered)
4 cups (32 ounces) stock - beef, chicken, or vegetable
Fresh herbs: marjoram, thyme, oregano, rosemary
bay leaf

I cooked mine on low for 10 hours, but you could do less time if you wanted. Mine, however, was frozen when I started so it needed all the time. It was fall-apart good when it was done, and Ernie took the leftovers to work one day for lunch.

Lemon garlic chicken
I don't typically like chicken cooked in the slow cooker because I feel like it gets dried out. This one, however, did not dry out and was really, really good. I froze the leftover chicken, to use for another recipe in a few weeks.

also adapted from The Kitchn

Throw in your slow cooker, in this order:

3-4 pound chicken, seasoned with granulated garlic, salt and pepper and stuffed with whole lemon
1 head garlic, cloves separated but not peeled
Mix together: 3 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 c. chicken stock, 1 c. white wine, 2 T. soy sauce -- add to slow cooker
1 lemon, quartered
2 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs rosemary

Again, I cooked this for 10 hours on low because my chicken was frozen solid. (I should really remember to take it out the night before). The recipe suggests 6-8 hours on low.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe