Quick (and Easy) Thai Corn Chowder

Adapted from vegan.com.

I love corn soups and chowders and before my computer crashed in March I had bookmarked a thai-style corn soup. Sadly, my bookmarks are gone and I am slowly rebuilding my list of recipes to try. In my search for a thai-style recipe I found this one and adapted it to what I had on hand. Which reminds me, if you have a well-stocked pantry/freezer, you should already have most of these ingredients on hand anyway so it makes it ideal for throwing it together at the last minute. Use whatever veg you have on hand that you think would go well. Next time I'll plan to include some bok choy or other asian greens but it was still delicious as is.

1 can creamed corn
1/3 bag frozen corn
1 can lite coconut milk (I used Thai Kitchen)
1 medium bell pepper, medium dice
1 small red onion, medium dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 to 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced
1 T olive oil
2 T red Thai curry paste (or to taste)
1 sweet potato, medium dice
chopped cilantro for garnish (had some and forgot to use it...again)

If you are in a hurry, chop the potato first and place it in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until just done. Set aside.

In a large pot on medium heat, add oil. Add onion, peppers and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes or until veg starts to soften. Add remaining ingredients, sweet potato and about a cup of water (but not cilantro) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer soup for 5 minutes. Serve with jasmine or basmati rice to make a more substantial meal or serve as is as a light first course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe