Easy apple cake

The two other Mary Baldwin women who contribute to this blog will confirm the fact that Apple Day is a big deal at our college. As you get older, though, the inclination sort of wanes to drink mass amounts of apple pie shooters, no matter how much I might joke about it.
Instead, I spend my Apple Days these years making apple inspired desserts. (Apple Day was this past Tuesday)
When I saw the recipe for this cake, I knew it'd be this year's apple dessert. It didn't disappoint.
One note: when I read the recipe, it called for a glaze that is essentially brown sugar and butter. Yum, right? However, the cake has 2 cups of sugar on its own, plus the apples and dates. I opted to not make the glaze, and it was sweet enough without it. I'm afraid adding the glaze to it might make your teeth hurt when you eat it.

If you want the original recipe, you can go to Bakerella and get it. Here's how I did it:

3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups oil
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups diced apples
1 cup chopped dates rolled in flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and cinnamon with a wire whisk and set aside.
Combine sugar and oil using a mixer until blended.
Add eggs and vanilla, mixing until combined.
Add flour mixture and mix well.
Stir in dates and apples. The batter will be very thick.
Pour into a greased and floured 9 X 13 pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until done.

Comments

Alissa said…
This looks pretty similar to the apple cake recipe that I had posted here earlier (the one where my two grandmothers and one of Todd's grandmothers all gave me their apple cake recipes, and all three were identical). Looks like the only difference is that my recipes call for layering sliced apples (1/2 batter, layer of apple slices, rest of batter, rest of apple slices on top), and to make it in a tube pan. I really like this recipe, and I took it to a pot luck dinner on Monday night to rave reviews. Mm. Apple cake.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe