Stuffed squash

We're back from the land of overindulgence (Vegas), and I'm trying to bring balance back to my poor, abused body.
Happy body, eating at Mario Batali's restaurant and consuming mass quantities of cured pork products and excellent cheese. And truffles (the fungus kind). And the best chocolate creation I've ever put in my mouth in my entire life. With edible gold on it. And many, many bottles of tasty red wine.
But my body, it took a beating and now I'm sick in retaliation.
So it's back to green tea and water by the gallon, to flush out all the fat/salt/alcohol and vegetarian meals, except for dinner.

Last night I was exhausted (red eye flights seem like a good idea, but not when you have to transfer halfway through the flight), so whipped up this stuffing and stuck it in some carnival squash I bought a few weeks ago that were taking up room in my fridge.

2 carnival or acorn squash, cut in half and seeds scooped out

1 cup rice -- I used a wild rice blend. You could use brown, too.
2 c. apple cider
1 apple, peeled and chopped
raw pumpkin seeds (this would work with pistachios or pine nuts, too)
nutmeg
cinnamon
salt

I cooked the rice in the apple cider, and just tossed in some nutmeg and cinnamon until it smelled good. Once the rice was cooked, I added the apple, as much pumpkin seeds as I thought looked good, and salted a little.
Then I stuffed the squash with the rice mixture, and put the halves in the slow cooker. Added about a cup of water to the bottom of the cooker (be careful, you don't want water in your squash), and cooked for 8 hours on low (while I slept very soundly).
This morning I drizzled all the halves with some maple syrup, and stuck one in tupperware to bring for my lunch today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe