Maple Syrup Spice Cake

Do you ever find yourself saying "Hmm, I would love to make a lovely fall dessert but am all out of eggs and/or butter..."? Or "I just adore spice cake. I should make one right now!" Or "My vegan friend is coming for dinner, what shall I mae for dessert?" Then look no further. And this cake could not be easier to make.

Adapted from the Oct. 2010 issue of Vegetarian Times.

I made this cake 3 times before I adapted it the way I liked it. Recently I made it for my FIL's birthday b/c it seemed sturdy enough to ship. It fits quite well in the medium sized priority mail boxes offered by USPS. According to my MIL, it arrived intact and so delicious my FIL had eaten all of it within 2 days.

3.5 C whole wheat flour
2 t baking powder
2 t baking soda
2 t cinnamon (preferably Vietnamese cin)
1/4 t freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 t ground cloves
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t allspice
1/2 t salt
1 C pure maple syrup
2/3 C canola oil
1 1/3 C water
2 T vanilla extract
1 T apple cider vinegar
1-2 t dark rum (or maple syrup extract if you have it)
10X sugar, for dusting

Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly coat 10-inch Bundt pan with cooking spray. You really do need to use a Bundt pan or tube pan for this or the middle will never fully cook. Believe me, I already tried. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt in bowl. Whisk maple syrup, oil, vanilla extract, apple cider vinegar, rum/maple extract and 1 1/3 cups water in large separate bowl. Stir in flour mixture until just blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and cake begins to pull away from sides of pan. Cool in pan on rack 20 minutes. Unmold onto rack, and cool completely. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.* Serves 12.

*cake will absorb the sugar if you dust it too far in advance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe