Gallo Pinto (Black Beans and Rice)

This is such a tasty recipe. I originally watched a Honduran guy named Chuck make it in my apartment kitchen my senior year of college, and I've combined what I remember from him with Cuban recipes from a lovely Mennonite international cookbook.

Saute in a wide & deep frying pan:
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced

When the onion is translucent, add 1/3 of the mixture and a dash of salt to a pot of yet uncooked rice (about 3-4 servings). Cook using your preferred rice-making method.

Open two cans of black beans, drain one but don't pour off the liquid from the other. To the veggies left in the frying pan, add the two cans of black beans & liquid.
Add:
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 t oregano
1 t cumin
1/2 t coriander
salt & pepper
cayenne to taste

Simmer for as long as it takes the rice to cook.

Serve beans over rice.

(You can top with cheese or sour cream, but it's irresistable as is. You can also add chicken to this recipe - cooked with the onion & pepper before adding the beans.)

adapted from Honduran Chuck and
Extending the Table, A World Community Cookbook
by Joetta Handrich Schlabach

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh, yum! I think I even have all of that in the pantry/fridge right now.
Anonymous said…
I know, right? So EASY!
Alissa said…
ooh, yeah. That sounds good! And easy. I love good and easy. :)
Anonymous said…
Doh, I am so late to this debate, but I LOVE that recipe. I have had it in my recipe box for years, in Hefk's handwriting in markers and everything, and every time I look at it, I want it. Yum.

On the vegetarian front: Shannon, the mostly vegetarian and poultry/fish a few times a week thing is exactly what I do. I don't need to worry about cooking for men or anything, so it might be easier for me to swing it, but it's definitely doable in general. I've actually been trying to get myself to eat a little more chicken and fish recently because I know I'm not getting enough protein, but I could be more proactive on the beans and cheese front, too.

Also, my favorite vegetarian cookbook is the lowfat Moosewood one. It is awesome, and doesn't ask for quite as many weird things you might not have around the way the original Moosewood does. (My two experiments with seitan, by the way, have been very very very bad.)
Unknown said…
Seitan doesn't really appeal to me...tofu, beans and grains is more my style. I found a polenta crockpot recipe I'm going to try next week.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe