Broiled Tomato and Blue Cheese Salad

Courtesy of Mark Bittman and Gwen who gave me one of his cookbook's for my birthday (additional thanks to Alissa who got me a subscription to Cook's Illus--yummy portobello recipe to come next week)

Okay, this is not so much a recipe as it is a way to use up some yummy late summer tomatoes from the farmer's market.

EVOO for brushing and spraying
6 plum tomatoes, cored and halved lengthwise (I used heirloom)
S&P
6 oz blue cheese of your choice
1 large head of Bibb or Boston lettuce, leaved pulled from core intact (I used mixed greens)
1/4 C vinaigrette (make your own or from a bottle - I used light bals. vin. by Newman's Own)
1/4 C chopped fresh chives or parsley for garnish (I didn't have any and it still tasted good)

Adjust oven rack so it is 4" from broiler. Turn oven on to broil. Brush/spray baking sheet with EVOO and put tomatoes cut side UP on sheet. Smoosh a little if they don't stay level. Sprinkle withh S&P and crumble blue cheese and flatten on top of the tomatoes. Broil for 2-3 minutes until cheese is golden brown and delicious. Remove from oven and allow to rest to set. Divide lettuce among plates and top with 3 tomatoe halves. Drizzle with dressing and serve. Yum!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe