lentils and yellow mung beans

The dal obsession escalates: I took "The Indian Vegetarian" out of the library, and this is the first one I've tried. The topping, specifically the browned onions -- made easy by my new birthday iron skillet from Kelly, hooray! is beautiful! -- is what made this flavorful, and even more might have been better; the beans are kind of bland. But it's good. The author says this dal is "considered light and easy to digest" and was one of her family's favorites. It was good topped with plain yogurt and would be better topped with raita.

1 c dried pink lentils (I used red; are those the same?), picked over and washed
1 c dried yellow mung beans (I used split), picked over and washed
6 c water (this is what I used, but I had to boil it for a long time -- next time, I'll do less)
5 fresh serrano or dried red peppers (I used crushed red pepper)
1 t salt, or to taste
1 T peeled and minced fresh ginger
1/2 c loosely packed finely chopped cilantro (I used mint, which is still magically growing in the freezing garden)

for the tarka topping:
3 T vegetable oil or clarified butter (I used olive)
1/2 c finely chopped onion
2 t cumin seeds
1 T ground coriander
1/2 t paprika
2 small tomatoes, cut into 6 ot 8 wedges
3 T chopped cilantro for garnish (I used mint)

Place the beans, water, peppers, turmeric and salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil, uncovered, over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan partially (thi sisessential because this dal produces a froth that rises to the top and spills over if covered, creating a mess that has to be cleaned), and simmer until creamy, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir a few times during the simmering process.

Transfer to serving dish, gently stir in the ginger and cilantro, and keep hot.

Heat the oil in a small saucepan over high heat and cook the onion, stirring, until medium brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add cumin seeds, coriander and paprika, then add the tomato wedges, and cook until they become slightly soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Immediately pour over the hot dal and mix lightly with the back of a spoon.

Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve as a main dish with any vegetable side dish, yogurt raita, and rice or bread. (I served with my old roommate D's Indian potatoes -- also made in the new skillet!)

Comments

Unknown said…
how do you make Indian potatoes? I feel like to properly enjoy this, I need the potatoes, too.
gwen said…
Sorry, I just saw this! I will post it now...

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe