Thursday, May 21, 2009

Isaac's Linguini Salad

a.k.a. the recipe on the back of the Salad Supreme canister. It's easy to make, tasty to eat and everyone likes it. A full batch makes a ton so here is the reduced-quantity version:

1.2 lb. dry linguine, cooked according to pkg directions and rinsed with cold water
1-2 tomatoes, chopped
1 med-lg cucumber (I used an English cucumber)
1/2 small canister Salad Supreme (McC0rmick's doesn't have MSG in it)
1/2 C or so italian dressing of your choice (I used Newman's 0wn Oil & Vinegar)

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss to coat. Inevitably the veg will sink to the bottom but with proper stirring and the use of good tongs, you'll get a bit of everything on your plate. Bowtie pasta also works well here and cuts down on the "slurp" factor. I recommend that you make this the night before you need it or, as I did it, the morning I was planning to serve it for dinner. It only gets better the longer the flavors get to meld onto the pasta and veg. Lastly, I also added a handful of asparagus stalks to the pasta water just before the linguini was done and chopped into bite-size pieces. Feel free to substitute any or all of the veggies but the Isaac's way is just cukes and toms.

3 comments:

Alissa said...

Hey, we were just at Isaac's last weekend and I commented to my mom that I would have to get this recipe from you since they don't make it there anymore. You must have ESPN. ;)

shannon said...

Salad supreme? What is that? Do I find it with the salad dressings?

Kelly said...

It should be in the condiment aisle with the salad dressings but I think it's sometimes found in the spice aisle.

There are more Isaac's recipes to come including Gwen's favorite.