chicken and apples in honey mustard sauce

From Simply Recipes' archive. As I was copying this recipe, I realized it's similar to the chicken and apple curry I posted here almost three years ago. Apparently I still like the combination. This was really good -- the sauce thickened up nicely and had a really strong sweet taste. Plus, there was enough left over to put on Shannon's smashed potatotes.

* 1/2 cup apple cider [I used natural apple juice]
* 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
* Salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1 Tbsp honey
* 1 Tbsp mustard
* 2 Tbsp seasoned dry breadcrumbs [I used plain]
* 4 4oz chicken breasts
* 1 Tbsp olive oil
* 2 small unpeeled apples, cored and cut into eighths (use Golden delicious, Granny Smith, Jonathan, Pippin, or McIntosh apples) [I have no idea what kind I used, and I sliced them thin... I seriously doubt either one matters much]
* 1/2 cup chicken broth
* Fresh parsley

1 Whisk cider, cornstarch, mustard, honey, salt and pepper (to taste) in a bowl. Set aside.

2 Spread bread crumbs on a piece of wax paper, lightly coat chicken with crumbs.

3 In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil and add the chicken breasts. Cook over medium heat until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn chicken, add apples, and cook until browned on the other side.

4 Add chicken broth, cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 15 minutes.

5 With slotted spoon, remove chicken and apples to serving plates. Whisk cider mixture again and add to skillet. Cook and stir over high heat until lightly thickened and bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes. Spoon over chicken and apples, sprinkle with parsley.

Serve with rice smashed potatoes. Serves 4.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe