Mock Spanish Rice

I was planning to make veggie quesadillas for dinner this week and I often serve spanish rice as a side dish but we're already eating so much rice this week that I was looking for an alternative side dish and here it is! Adapted from veggieventure, and low-fat to boot, you really should try it. Even if you don't love cauliflower (I usually don't love it myself), it really does a good job of taking on the surrounding flavors and when chopped fine, it looks like rice.

1 head of cauliflower (I used frozen florets)
1 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper (I used a mix of red and green), chopped
1 or 2 tomatoes, diced (or you can use canned)
handful of frozen corn
S & P to taste
salsa of your choice, to taste

Steam or defrost the cauliflower and wait until cooled to chop fine. In a large skillet, heat o.o. until shimmery and add onion and peppers. Cook until soft and add garlic. Cook until garlic is fragrant and add tomatoes and cauliflower. Pour in salsa to taste and S&P and cook until some most of the liquid is evaporated. Add in corn and check for taste. I just kept adding salsa until it tasted how I wanted it to. Next time I'll add some cumin. Also, the kind of salsa you use will affect the end product. I used chipotle salsa, which was yummy, but fire roasted tomato salsa would have been good as well. Play around with it and see what you like best.

I served this with roasted veggie quesadillas, refried beans and diced avocado.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe