Asparagus & Farro Salad

Adapted from Closet Cooking.

I bought a bag of farro in, what, December? Anyway, it's been sitting in my pantry all this time because I was never sure in which recipe would be best to sub in farro for another grain. It was easy to make and doesn't require the rinsing before cooking that quinoa demands and it was tasty. It's sort of barley-ish in its consistency. Be sure to take a look at the original recipe. I was out of zucchini so I substituted tomatoes. I would have just tossed them in raw but they had gone squishy and were developing mold so that's why I tossed them under the broiler first. I omitted chick peas only because we're having beans for dinner tonight. You know what they say "Beans, beans, the magical fruit..."

1 cup farro
1 handful asparagus (I broiled mine with olive oil and S&P), chopped in 1" pieces
1 medium to large tomato (I broiled that, too), sliced and de-seeded
juice from one small lemon
2 T pine nuts
grated parmesan to taste
S&P to taste
2 T chopped basil

Cook farro according to pkg directions. Mine were in Italian so I consulted MB's book and he said to put one cup in a pot and cover with 1" of water and simmer until done. I would probably use a little less water and start checking for done-ness around 15 min. Toss everything together and then check for seasoning. Add more S&P to taste. I served mine warm and it's also good at room temp.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe