Kohlrabi Puree

Loosely adapted from: Farmgirl Fare

Ok, so we had a bunch of purple kohlrabi in our farm share 2 weeks ago, and I didn't know what to do with it, so it sat in the fridge for 2 weeks. I finally used it up today, and wished we had more.

I found this recipe for Kohlrabi Puree from Farmgirl Fare. In her recipe she used the greens from the kohlrabi and also mushrooms (which I didn't have on hand). I used her basic method but didn't follow the recipe closely enough to copy it below. I pretty much just made mine like mashed potatoes, but added onions and garlic and put it in the food processor to make it smooth.

3 bulbs of Kohlrabi (more if you have it, and then just adjust the rest of the ingredients to accommodate)
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
couple splashes of milk
1 Tbsp butter
a bit of grated parmesan
salt and pepper to taste.

Cut the tops and bottoms off each kohlrabi bulb. Peel if the skin seems tough. Cut bulbs into 1-inch pieces. Cover with water in a pot and boil until kohlrabi is tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and add kohlrabi to the bowl of a food processor.

In a saute pan, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add to the food processor.

Add a splash of milk, butter, parmesan, salt and pepper to mixture in food processor. Leave the hole in the processor open so the steam can escape, but cover with it a dishtowel and your hand to prevent anything from splashing out. Process all ingredients until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.

Comments

hefk said…
kholrabi!!!
I don't know if I've ever eaten it but I like say it...KHOLRABI! This recipe sounds good.
Alissa said…
You can also eat it raw. You can slice it thinly and use to scoop up hummus. I thought it was pretty good.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe