Whole Wheat Drop Biscuits

Adapted from recipezaar.com and Giada.

So, I've been thinking about the cheddar dill scones over at Everybody Loves Sandwiches but I felt like I needed to plan the meal around them which, frankly, made my head want to explode. But also I'm trying to use more WW flour and when you sub in WW flour you have to get the ratio right. Anyway, long story short, I went looking for a recipe that I could alter without putting too much brain power into it. I just don't have time for that these days. Here's how it goes...

1 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C self-rising flour (you can use AP here and add a bit of baking powder and soda)
1/2 C corn meal
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, cut into small chunks
1 scant cup skim milk (I bet buttermilk would be good here)
herbs of your choice

Preheat oven to 425. In a food processor, combine all dry ingredients and pulse to combine. If you want to add herbs, and I used garlic chives, now would be the time to do it. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Slowly pour in milk until dough comes together. I didn't use the whole cup of milk so just be sure to pour slowly. Once dough comes together you can either turn it out onto a floured surface, pat out and cut with the cutter of your choice but I used my 2 T cookie scoop and got exactly 12 biscuits. Drop biscuits onto a greased baking sheet and bake for 12-15 min. Next time I am going to add grated parmesan to the dough. I served these with grilled veggies on a bed of mixed greens and sprinkled herbed goat cheese on top but am planning to serve left over biscuits with cheddar and salsa omelets tonight. They're pretty versatile and I liked that they are lower in fat and made with WW flour.

Comments

gwen said…
No cholesterol, too! Will definitely be making these -- thanks, lady.
Kelly said…
Well, some, if you use butter (which I did) but I was amazed that it only called for 2 Tbs.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe