Pineapple Rice with Arugula

Adapted from 101 Cookbooks. This was really good, relatively easy and lower in fat with some modifications of the original recipe. Heidi says it makes good leftovers but as it isn't lunchtime yet, I can't say for certain but I'm sure it will be good.

8 oz can crushed pineapple in 100% juice
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp or so of chili paste (I use Sambal Olek)
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
1' piece of ginger, peeled and chopped

4 handfuls arugula

2 cups cooked brown rice, room temperature (I use TJs frozen rice)
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 medium red onion (or use shallots), peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup cashews, roasted/toasted and chopped
4 ounces tempeh, cut into little bits and pan-fried (shrimp would be excellent here)
2 cups fresh pineapple, cut into 1" cubes

Combine first 6 ingredients in a food processor and whizz until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan and warm gently without boiling or simmering. In a large bowl, add the arugula and splash of the pineapple sauce. Stir until leaves are well-coated.

In a large frying pan, spray with cooking spray and add tempeh. Cook until browned and set aside. In same pan, add red onions and sautee until slightly translucent and lightly browned. Add pineapple and cook until heated through and lightly browned. Add rice, cashews, seitan and reserved sauce. Stir to coat all ingredients and pour over arugula. Stir well to combine and serve immediately. This would be good a room temp but we ate it hot. Serves 4 with 553 kcals and 6 g fiber.

Comments

Alissa said…
I made an approximation of this tonight. I used the same basic flavors but adapted it to what I needed to use up. I started by sauteing tatsoi (a type of Asian spinach) with garlic, onions, chili pepper and ginger. Then I made a sauce by processing fresh pineapple, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce and a bit of sriracha. I also baked some tofu after marinating it in rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, honey and chili pepper flakes. Finally, I mixed everything together with some quinoa. It's really tasty and I can't wait to have it for lunch tomorrow.
Kelly said…
Yay! This made some tasty leftovers, I can tell you. I can't wait to make it again.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe