Turnip, Potato and Onion Soup

Adapted from: Simply Recipes, originally from Food and Wine Magazine

I know this might not SOUND like a tasty soup, but it was really good. It tasted like potato-leek soup, and was thick and creamy with a minimal amount of fat. I was sort of liberal with my adaptations with this, based on what I had in the house. I put the original recipe here so you can figure out what adaptations you want to make. I didn't have nearly the quantity of turnips called for, so I decreased the amount of chicken stock so it wouldn't be too thin. I had hakurai turnips, which are small and round, like white radishes. I'm not sure what the difference in flavor would be with regular turnips, but it was quite tasty the way I made it.


6 Tbsp unsalted butter (I used 2 Tbsp)
4 medium onions, thinly sliced (I used 2 softball-sized yellow onions)
3 pounds fresh, young turnips, peeled and thinly sliced (I used 2 small bunches of white hakurai turnips)
1 1/2 pounds of Russet baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I used fingerling)
Salt
6 Cups of chicken stock* (I used 4 cups)
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup finely shredded basil for garnish (I skipped)
Splash of cream

Method

1 In a large heavy stockpot or casserole, melt the butter until it foams. When the foam subsides, add the onions and cook over moderate heat until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the turnips and potatoes and stir to coat with the butter. Add 2 teaspoons of salt, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

2 Stir in the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cover partially and cook over moderate heat until the vegetables are very tender, about 10 minutes.

3 Working in batches, purée the soup in a blender until perfectly smooth (I used an immersion blender).(I added a splash of cream to the soup while I was blending it, because I had some on hand). Return the soup to the pot and season with salt and the nutmeg. Ladle the soup into shallow bowls and garnish with the basil before serving.

Serves 8.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have always smothered down onions, potatoes and turnips, but taking it the next step into soup sounds wonderful. I have all ingredients needed. Will report back in a few hours. Thanks for the idea.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe