Fudgy brownies

I was craving something chocolate last night, and definitely did not have the time or ingredients to make the sort of chocolate cake I was envisioning. (G - will you make me a chocolate cake?)
Instead, I flipped through my cookbooks looking for something that would take care of the chocolate-cakey cravings, and these did the job nicely. Quick to pull together and I had all the ingredients on hand, I was able to make the batter while dinner (pasta shells stuffed with ricotta cheese) were in the oven, and they were done by the time we were done eating.

from Better Homes and Gardens new cookbook "Celebrating the promise"

1/2 c. butter
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, cool.
Grease an 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 pan, put aside. Stir sugar into melted cooled chocolate in saucepan. Add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined. Add vanilla.
In a small mixing bowl, stir together the flour and baking soda. Add to chocolate mixture. Stir until just combined. If desired, add nuts. Spread batter into prepared pan.
Bake for 30 minutes for 8-inch pan or 20 minutes for 9-inch pan.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The brownies sound delicious, but I will totally make you a chocolate cake. I actually made one for a friend's birthday yesterday (recipe to follow) that was way less work than the one I made in August but, dare I say it, more delicious. And soon one will be allll yours, my friend.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe