Lentil and sausage soup

In keeping with our pact to use up all the dried beans in the house before I bought more (errr....I did buy a bag of barley on a whim this weekend, and have no idea what to use it in), I'm making this lentil soup right now for lunches for the rest of the week.
It was easy to put together, I had all the ingredients in the house and it tastes good, too. My adaptations in parenthesis.

from Better Homes and Gardens "Celebrating the Promise"

2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 c. water
1 c. brown lentils, rinsed and drained
1 c. sliced celery (I omitted, since I had none in the house)
1 c. sliced carrot
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 tsp. snipped fresh thyme, or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper (I used chipotle pepper here)
2 cloves garlic (I used 3, more garlic is always better in my book)
6 oz. cooked smoked sausage links, quartered and sliced (I used some Italian sausage I had in the freezer, just sliced it up. I think any kind of sausage would work.)

In a large saucepan combine broth, water, lentils, celery, carrot, onion, dried thyme (if using), cayenne pepper and garlic. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
(I added the sausage here, because they weren't cooked all the way through)
Simmer, covered for 20-25 minutes, until vegetables and lentils are tender.
If you used cooked sausage, add it now, and add fresh thyme if using. Heat through.

Comments

Alissa said…
The Wild rice and barley salad that I posted recently was pretty good. I made it again last week, too. It's great for lunches.... wild rice, barley, chickpeas, green onions, Dijon vinaigrette dressing. Mm. I want some right now.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe