Sausage and gravy

Every good Southern girl, I think, should know how to make sausage and biscuits.
Although I'm no good at the homemade biscuits part, I did find a good recipe for the sausage gravy part, which you can find in its entirety here.

But here's how I did it:

1 package mild sausage
1 package refrigerator biscuits
3 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. butter
2 c. milk

First, cut the sausage into rounds, however thick you like. Brown the sausage in a pan while you heat the oven to bake the biscuits. I used a cast iron skillet, because I wanted the brown bits on the bottom.
After the sausage is cooked, remove it from the pan. Toss the grease.
Put the butter in the pan and melt it, then add 3 Tbsp. flour. I was always taught to make a roux you needed equal parts flour and fat.
Mix it all together, then let it cook a minute until it gets nice and brown. That's a good roux. Be sure to scrape up all the nice brown bits from the bottom of your pan. That's good stuff there.
Add the milk slowly to the roux. You'll make the it the thickness you want. We actually put 3 cups in and then had to add more flour, so if I were you, I'd start with two cups. Let it bubble for a few minutes, to thicken up. I crumbled a few pieces of sausage into the gravy, so that it was a little tastier. Salt and pepper to taste.
And really, that's all there is to it.

I wouldn't advise making this too often. It sure is tasty, but I can guarantee it's not good for you at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe