Wild Rice and Barley Salad

From Cooking Light, Jan/Feb 2008

I made this tonight, intending to eat it for my lunch most days this week, but then I ate about half of it as I was preparing tonight's dinner because it was so good. So, I didn't even get to the "chilling" step, or the basil or almonds. I just ate it warm out of the mixing bowl. Oh well. I think it would be good for a pot-luck or picnic side dish, too. (I used beef broth instead of chicken because I had some left over from another dish I was preparing at the same time - I think either would be fine, as would vegetable, probably.)

1 3/4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup uncooked brown and wild rice mix
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
3/4 cup rinsed and drained chickpeas
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup sliced green onions
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
2 Tbsp slivered almonds, toasted

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, simmer 40 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Spoon rice mixture into a medium bowl. Add chickpeas, raisins and green onions.

Combine vinegar and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl; whisk. Pour over barley mixture; toss well. Cover; chill 2 hours. Stir in basil and almonds.

Yield: 8 servings, serving size = 2/3 cup (2 WW points per serving)

Comments

Unknown said…
I made this without the raisins, because I don't like raisins in anything but raisin bread, and maybe raisin bran.
Anyway.
I made this because my stomach is starting to get funny but I'm also starving, and this is perfect. Even without the raisins.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe