Pumpkin Soup

From: Cooking in Cathedral Hill

I know, it's not really pumpkin season, and it's kind of not even really soup season anymore. But I like to make a big pot of soup on the weekends and take it for my lunch all week long. Plus, I had this can of pumpkin sitting in the cabinet that I'd rather not have there until next fall. So, pumpkin soup.

1 tablespoon butter
1 cup onion, chopped
28 ounces vegetable broth (I used homemade chicken stock)
14 ounces canned pumpkin (I had a large can - I think it was 24 oz. It's fine)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup heavy cream (I used milk. It's fine)

Stove top instructions:
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
Add onion and saute until translucent - about 8 minutes.
Add vegetable broth, pumpkin, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and pepper, stirring to combine.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir in cream and heat through, being careful not to let it boil.

Alternate crockpot version (this is how I made it):
Put butter, onions, vegetable broth, pumpkin, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and pepper in a slow cooker (I softened the onion in the skillet first). Stir everything together.
Cook on high for 2-3 hours.
Stir in cream and cook on low until heated through - about 15 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe