Baingan Bhartaa "smoked spicy eggplant"

If you're like me, you're trying to replicate at home the indian food goodness found at your favorite indian restaurant. I have made lots of good dishes but they never taste the same as they do at the restaurant. This is another recipe I've tried in my quest to make some of my favorite indian dishes at home. Note: I got the recipe from Indian Home Cooking (which I highly recommend) but I also consulted the awesome ladies of Show Me the Curry who provide step-by-step videos for the recipes. I can't recommend them enough.

1 large eggplant (I used 2 large-ish b/c one didn't seem like enough)
3 tbs canola
1" piece of ginger, peeled and minced (I used my microplane for this)
1 large red onion, finely chopped
1 tsp salt, or to taste
3 cloves garlic, fined minced into a paste
1 tbs ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1/2 fresh hot green chile, chopped (you can also use canned)
2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
juice of half a lemon (I didn't have any)

If you have a gas stove you can roast the eggplant directly over the burner. If not, you can roast the eggplant in a 450 degree oven for an hour or so, depending on how fat your veg is. You want the skin nice a black and the flesh inside to be pulpy by still somewhat firm. Allow the eggplant to cool then remove skin and cut off stem. Place eggplant in a bowl and mash into a puree and set aside.

In a large frying pan, heat the oil over med-high heat. Add the ginger and cook 30 seconds. Add the onion and salt and stir often until the onion begins to brown around the edges (10 min or so). Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add all the spices and cook one minute. Add about a tablespoon of water, stirring constantly, until the onion begins to stick or about one minute. Add the tomatoes and eggplant and stir often. After about 5 minutes stir in the chile and 1 tbs of the cilantro. Stir in lemon juice if using and salt to taste. Garnish with remaining cilantro and serve hot. I served mine with brown rice and naan. Makes 4 dinner-size portions if serving with rice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe