Three Grannies' Apple Cake

Todd LOVES his Granny's apple cake. He and his cousin Danielle fight over it (yes, literally) whenever she makes one. Danielle once hid an apple cake in her washing machine so Todd couldn't find it and claim half. At my bridal shower I received a copy of Granny's apple cake recipe. And then I received a copy of MY grandmother's apple cake recipe (uh oh, what to do now?). AND, I already had my other grandmother's apple cake recipe, which I found when I claimed her recipe box after she died. I knew I could never make an apple cake without offending someone.

And then I looked at the recipes. They were all the same. One used apple juice instead of orange juice, but the quantities of all the ingredients were the same in each of the three recipes. Must be a winner. :) I'm making it for the first time tonight, and the kitchen smells delicious.

1 c. vegetable oil
3 c. flour
2 c. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. orange or apple juice
4-5 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

Grease and flour a round tube pan.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Mix first 7 ingredients together (through juice). Place half the batter in the prepared pan. Layer in half the apples. Sprinkle with half the remaining sugar and cinnamon. Pour in the remaining batter. Layer with remaining apples. Sprinkle with remaining sugar and cinnamon. Bake for 90 minutes.

* Tip - when you flip the cake out of the pan, turn it back over so that you see the apples on top.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe