white bean and sage chowder

I made up this recipe based on a crockpot recipe from Alissa, I think. It's good! I will call it Bob.

1 can cannellini beans
1 can creamed corn (we have four cans of creamed corn hanging out in our pantry and I never have any idea what to do with them [and neither J. nor I remember buying them... maybe they came with the apartment?], so I was proud of myself for using one. regular corn or another can of beans would be fine)
1 potato, diced
1 onion, diced
some chopped garlic
some red pepper flakes (but not too many, since the crockpot intensifies dried spices like crazy)
bit of olive oil
4 c broth or water (I used low-sodium chicken broth)
several leaves of sage (I suspect bay leaves would be good too)

Pour olive oil on the bottom of the crockpot. Put in onion and garlic and stir around so they're coated.

Throw in all the rest of the stuff except the sage leaves. Float the sage leaves on top.

Cook on high for 8-10 hours.

Scoop out sage leaves before serving if you'd like. (It's a little weird to get a big chunk of sage in your mouth, but it's not the worst thing that could happen to a person.)

Comments

Alissa said…
you could make corn casserole with the creamed corn. Somewhere I have a recipe for making it totally from scratch instead of using the Jiffy corn muffin mix, which someone recently told me has lard in it.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe