Beef stroganoff

Ernie really likes steak. I could take it or leave it, honestly, but since he puts up with me cooking a lot of chicken and fish (or vegetarian), I make steak for him once in a while.
I do very much like beef stroganoff. It's one of my father's favorite meals and I can remember my mother making it for him on special occasions (his birthday, their anniversary, when he'd come home from sea).

This recipe is from "Mama Now Cooks Like This"

2 lb. sirloin, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 c. (one stick) butter
2 c. coarsely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced (I put mine through the press)
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp. flour (I thought my gravy was a little thin. Next time I'll use more flour)
salt and pepper
1 1/2 c. beef stock
1/4 c. dry white wine
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
handful of chopped fresh parsley
1 lb. dry fettuccine
2-3 Tbsp. butter

Brown strips of meat well in 1/2 c. butter. Remove from pan, but keep warm. Add onion and garlic to pan and cook until tender. Add mushrooms and cook until tender.
Stir flour into vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add beef stock and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
Combine white wine, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce and parsley. Add to pan.
Cook fettuccine in boiling water according to directions. Drain and toss with butter. (or not. I didn't)
Return meat to pan and cook until reheated.
Serve meat and sauce on a bed of noodles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe