garden fresh tomato soup

I felt like I needed to find a recipe specifically for fresh tomatoes rather than canned, although I'm not sure if it made a difference. In any case, this is good -- I tripled the recipe and am going to freeze most of it, and I think I'll stir in some parmesan and milk or cream when I defrost.

4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 slice onion
4 whole cloves [I only had ground, and you can really taste them... I like it, but if you don't care for cloves, I'd skip this step]
2 cups chicken broth [I used vegetable]
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons white sugar, or to taste [I used less than this]
big splash of balsamic vinegar [I added this based on the comments from All Recipes]

In a stockpot, over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, onion, cloves and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and gently boil for about 20 minutes to blend all of the flavors. Remove from heat and run the mixture through a food mill into a large bowl, or pan. Discard any stuff left over in the food mill.

In the now empty stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a roux, cooking until the roux is a medium brown. Gradually whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest. Season with sugar and salt, and adjust to taste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe