chocolate zucchini muffins/cupcakes

Are they muffins? Are they cupcakes? You decide! (I prefer to think of them as muffins... they sound healthier that way...)

I saved this recipe twice in my recipe bookmarks, tagged once as each. Brilliantly, I also forgot the eggs when I was baking this today -- and I'd doubled it to use up a huge zucchini, so that's a total of six missing eggs. I made 12 muffins to take to work and two large breads, and they all taste great, but the bread completely falls apart when you cut into it. Oh well, more for us. I'm not complaining.

1 1/2 cups (360 mL) brown sugar
1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter
3/4 cup (180 mL) vegetable oil
3 eggs [don't forget them, duh]
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
1/2 cup (120 mL) buttermilk [I substituted low-fat yogurt]
2 cups (480 mL) grated zucchini
1 cup (240 mL) chocolate chips
2 cups (480 mL) unbleached flour
1 cup (240 mL) cocoa, sifted [I never sift anything]
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
2 tsp (10 mL) baking soda
1 tsp (5 mL) allspice [I substituted nutmeg, but you can't really taste it through all the chocolatey-ness]
1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) cinnamon

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease large muffin pans and line with muffin cups.

In a medium bowl mix together the sugar, butter and oil. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well Incorporated. Stir in vanilla, buttermilk, zucchini and chocolate chips.

In a separate bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients. Add the liquid ingredients and mix until well combined. Spoon batter into large muffin pans. Bake in the center of the oven for about 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, while preparing the icing (hs note: I made these without the icing, also - don't overcook them or you will lose all the moist goodness - you want them to look almost done in the oven - they will continue to cook for a few minutes after you pull them from the oven from the residual heat).

Yields 9 large cupcakes or 20 standard cupcakes.

from Rebar: Modern Food Cookbook by Audrey Alsterburg & Wanda Urbanowicz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe