Slow cooker stewed tomatoes

I love stewed tomatoes. I usually only want to eat them when I've got macaroni and cheese, but you could eat them anytime, I guess.
Usually I just open up a can and heat them on the stove, so I was excited to try this recipe today. It didn't disappoint -- these were much better than the ones you get in the can, and really simple. And it made a ton, enough for Ernie and I to both eat them (Gaby does not eat tomatoes), a container for the fridge and another for the freezer.
I think you could make them with fresh tomatoes (I'm thinking of you, grower of all the tomatoes), you'll just need to increase the cooking time so that they get nice and soft. And I'm thinking you don't even have to blanch and peel them, the skins will slide right off when you take them out of the slow cooker. Perhaps I'll have to pick some tomatoes this week at the farm, so I can give it a try.

Recipe, not surprisingly, is adapted slightly from the Year of Crockpotting.

2 cans of whole plum tomatoes (28 oz cans), drained (I used regular canned whole tomatoes, peeled, because I couldn't find plum)
1/4 t ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese (I didn't use this, because we were having mac and cheese)
4 T butter, sliced (you might be able to decrease this to 3 Tbsp. I decreased it from the 5 she called for)

Drain the tomatoes--use a strainer--you don't need any of the can liquid. Put the tomatoes into the crockpot. Sprinkle on the ground black pepper. Add the Parmesan cheese, if uesd. Slice your butter into thin squares, and dot them over the top of the cheese.
Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, or until cheese is bubbly and is beginning to brown.

Comments

gwen said…
It would be a really good time for me to make this, but somehow, I have never been able to get behind stewed tomatoes. Do you eat them on top of the mac and cheese, or as a side?
Unknown said…
I eat them next to the mac and cheese...I guess you could eat them on top, I just never eat them that way.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe