My Mom's Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I called my mom to get this recipe last Tuesday night at 9:30pm. I wanted to make it for a party at work the next day but couldn't find her recipe in any of my books or binders. For me, there is no other carrot cake recipe. I'm leaving my mom's commentary in because, as it turns out, it is critical to the outcome...especially draining the pineapple. Last week's cake was the first time I thought my cake finally came out like hers. Drain the pineapple, people.

CAKE
• 2 C flour
• 2 tsp BP
• 1 ½ tsp soda
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• 2 C sugar
• 1 ½ C oil
• 4 eggs, lightly beaten
• 2 C grated carrots (“I always overfill that by a bit”)
• 1 8.5 oz can crushed pineapple in juice, drained (“Make sure you completely drain it…and save the juice; you can use it to make salad dressing.” I used a mesh strainer over a bowl and left it for about 30 minutes and still needed to push on it a bit with the back of a spoon.)
• ½ C walnuts, chopped ("I go a little heavy on that too.")

Sift flour.
Add BP, soda, salt & cinnamon.
Blend in sugar, oil and beaten eggs. (I did this in a separate bowl and then poured the dry ingredients back in. Now that I look at the recipe again, I wonder why I thought that was what she said. Whatever. I'm sticking to it, and from now on, I'm swearing that's how my mom said to do it.)
Mix well. (dry into wet)
Fold in pineapple carrots & nuts.
Pour into Pam-ed tube or bundt pan.
Bake at 350 for 1 hr or until cake tests done.
Cool completely before frosting.


CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
• 1 8oz pkg cream cheese
• 1 tsp vanilla
• ¼ C butter, softened
• 2 C confectioners sugar

Cream together cc, butter & vanilla.
Add sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe