Sourdough No Knead Bread

This is a bit of a cheater post since I'm really just going to post the links, but I highly recommend that 1.) you visit the Breadtopia website and 2.) you make this bread.

But first, you need to make a starter if you don't already have one. Fool-proof directions can be found here. Pineapple juice seems unorthodox but if you read the instructions and watch the videos he provides, it makes it very easy to do. I didn't buy juice, I just opened a couple of 8oz cans of cut pineapple, put the juice in the starter and ate the fruit later.

Once your starter is mature, you are ready to make no knead bread. I adapted slightly and used 2.5 cups WW flour and just 1 cup bread flour. Plus vital wheat gluten. More on that below.

I made a whole wheat starter and my bread was also WW. I think if you are going to do a lot of WW baking, you need to get yourself some vital wheat gluten to help things along. I use Bob's Redmill and use about a Tbs per cup of WW flour. It works great. The other thing is that WW often needs just a smidge more liquid (I do mean smidge) when baking bread so be sure to watch your hydration.

Anyway, I think this is a great way to make homemade bread, especially sourdough. It requires little intervention until the last few hours before you bake it. Gwen, this is where a dutch oven really comes in handy. And for very little work, you get tangy flavor, a crisp exterior and a chewy, holey interior that is just downright tasty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe