Brazilian Shrimp Soup and Lemon Cake

Since both of these recipes were adapted from their original sources by Annie and Deb, respectively, and I didn't do my own adaptations, I'll just post the links.

Brazilian Shrimp Soup


Ina's Lemon Cake


Okay, I lied. I made a tiny adaptation to the soup. I had some leftover Thai jasmine rice in my freezer and I added that at the end of cooking instead of in the middle since, well, it was already cooked. Also, I thought it would go well with the tropical tone set by the coconut milk. Additionally, I used raw, shells-on shrimp and poached them in the soup until pink and then fished them out. I like the extra shrimpy flavor you get by using the shells. So, I let them cool, shelled them, cut them up into bite-sized pieces and then threw them back in to warm up. This soup was very good. I used lite coconut milk by Thai Kitchen, btw. Makes about 6 servings. I served with a mixed greens salad and whole wheat sourdough bread.

As for the cake, I made it as Deb presented it. I used her recipe over Ina's original over at food network b/c Deb used a smidge less sugar. I do love Ina's recipes but her desserts often have more sugar than I think is needed. I made mine in a bundt pan b/c I think it's prettier. I used a small toothpick to poke holes in the cake to increase the absorption of the lemon syrup. The glaze covers the holes nicely so I don't think presentation will be a problem. Michael and his boss loved dinner and dessert and I know that the rest of the cake will be long gone by the end of today once his co-workers find out about it. I served this with raspberry coulis made from frozen raspberries. Serves a lot and I don't even want to know the nutritional content of this recipe, thank you very much.

p.s. I used Meyer lemons in the cake. It is high citrus season here, after all.

Comments

Unknown said…
Did you have the problem with the glaze gumming over and not absorbing that Deb was talking about? I'm totally making that this week -- as soon as Ernie finishes all of his lemon squares. I've got TONS of fresh lemons from my uncles.
Kelly said…
I didn't but I think it's because I scanned all the comments and decided to use a small toothpick to poke holes in the cake before pouring it over. Also, the cake was still warm and so was the glaze. That might help, too. It's so worth it. It's so lemony and delicious.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe