smitten kitchen's chocolate chip cookies

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. The chocolate-to-cookie ratio here is delightfully low, even without the nuts. Original recipe here, and I didn't change much.

1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (120 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) (115 grams) unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/2-inch (1cm) pieces
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups (175 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt or 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt (Deb option) [I just used regular]
1 1/2 cups (200 grams) semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup (130 grams) walnuts or pecans, toasted and chopped [I skipped]

Adjust the oven rack to the top third of the oven and preheat to 300F (150C). Line three baking sheets with parchment paper.

Beat the sugars and butters together until smooth. [Gwen's note: I'm not sure if it's just because I only have a crappy hand mixer or what, but this was really hard. The butter was super cold, the sugar was kind of hard, I had to smush some of the butter with my fingers to get it to blend at all... it seemed bad. But it was fine, and the cookies didn't spread out too much in the oven, and it was worth it.]

Mix in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda.

Stir together the flour and salt, then mix them into the batter. Mix in the chocolate chips and nuts.

Scoop the cookie dough into 2-tablespoon (5cm) balls and place 8 balls, spaced 4 inches (10cm) apart, on each of the baking sheets.

Bake for 18 minutes, or until pale golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.

Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Comments

The Local Cook said…
I usually just use the recipe on the back of the bag . . . but I might try these :-)
Alissa said…
Wait - the chocolate to cookie ratio is low? And that's a good thing? Doesn't that mean there is little chocolate to lots of cookie? Or am I not understanding something?
gwen said…
Erm... I meant that they seem close to equal, like 1:1. Is that a low ratio or a high ratio? Help, math.

Local Cook: I almost always use that recipe too, but I had fancy chocolate chips so I wanted to try a fancy recipe! There is a definite time and place for the classics, though.
Kelly said…
Did you use your new cookie scoops, by any chance?
Alissa said…
I don't think 1:1 is high or low; I think it's equal. :) A high ratio would be like 3:1, and a low ratio would be 1:3. Although, I don't think you could really have 3 parts chocolate to 1 part cookie. I think that would fall apart. :)
hefk said…
I can provide support for the ratio comment. Just enough buttery batter to hold a bunch of chocolate in cookie form. These are the perfect cookie. I'm not really good at even the simplest of baking. I can be counted on to mess up the Toll House recipe on the bag (I have no idea) but I can get these come out perfecto each time. Let me tell you how much we like to make them around here!

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe