Cherry Mountain Pie

I just love when you look at a recipe you've been making for a while and realize it says "serves 12-14" and know that you and your husband can polish off the whole thing in two nights.
Um, yeah. This is one of those. So simple, so good.
This is from a former co-worker named Stacey, and I thought for sure I'd posted it here before but when I went back through the archives, I couldn't find it. Make this. And, I'm sorry. Because you'll eat a whole bunch of it at once.

1/2 c. butter (you can use 1/4 c. instead, but it's not quite as good)
1 c. sugar
1 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. milk
1 can fruit (whatever kind you want. I often use sweet cherries or pineapple, but it's good with peaches or apricots, too)

Preheat oven to 350.
Melt butter in 9 by 13 pan. I just plop the butter in the pan and stick it in the oven until it all melts.
Mix together sugar, flour, baking powder, add milk. Pour over melted butter.
Do not mix the two together. Seriously.
Drop fruit by spoonfuls into batter. Pour a little of the juice, if you like, on the top.
Bake 30-40 minutes.

The fruit sinks to the bottom, the flour mixture forms a light little cake, and the edges get all crispy and delicious from the butter. Yum.

Comments

gwen said…
Just pulled this out of the oven... so good. I'd wanted to try a simple recipe using Earth Balance instead of butter, to be able to really taste its flavor, and I'm sold. It doesn't taste like butter exactly, but the taste is totally non-intrusive (unlike margarine, in my opinion). The cake tastes like peaches, and also like delicious! And the edges are crispy just like Shannon described.

I think you could get away with having this for breakfast. It has all the same ingredients as pancakes, right? And fruit! It's breakfast cake!
Kristen Blair said…
i had to try this last night too, sounded so good. i used pineapple and shredded coconut on top!

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe