Carrot Souffle

from Simply Recipes

I thought this was tasty and something different from our usual side dishes. Use the best carrots you can find. I used CSA carrots, and I didn't peel them - just gave them a good scrub with a vegetable brush before slicing into rounds. My adaptations are in parentheses.

2 lbs carrots, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
Salt for salting cooking water
1 cup whole milk (I used 1%)
1 cup Saltine cracker crumbs (I used Ritz)
3/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/3 cup minced onion (I used caramelized onions)
1 Tbsp room temperature unsalted butter (I omitted)
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 large eggs

Method

1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.

2 Place carrots in a saucepan and cover with an inch of water. Add about 1 teaspoon of salt to the water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the carrots are tender. Strain the carrots and purée in a food processor or with an immersion blender.

3 Place carrot purée in a large bowl. Slowly add in the milk, a little at a time, whisking after each addition so that the mixture stays smooth, not lumpy. Mix in the saltine cracker crumbs, the grated cheese, onion, butter, Kosher salt, cayenne, and black pepper.

4 In a separate bowl, whip up the eggs until frothy. Then whisk them into the carrot purée mixture.

5 Transfer the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until puffed up a bit and lightly golden.

Serves 8.

Comments

Anonymous said…
that sounds great! I need more CSA carrots LOL. I am finding so many great recipes for them.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe