Arugula Pesto

From In My Kitchen Garden. My sister-in-law ordered the arugula pesto with pasta at the Stinking Rose and I have to say it was quite good. I'm sure they put more garlic in their pesto but what would a dish from the Stinking Rose be without a ton of garlic?

Please note that this is not going to taste like basil pesto because it won't. It'll look like it but that first taste has nothing basil-y about it. I tell you this because it's easy to be caught off guard by it's non-basil-iness.

1/3 cup of your favorite olive oil
1 ounce garlic (about 6 cloves), peeled and sliced
6 ounces arugula, preferably very young leaves
3 ounces freshly grated pecorino romano or other hard cheese (about 1 cup)
1 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (about 5-1/2 ounces)

You can fry the garlic first if you prefer a mellower garlic flavor. Now, put everything except the oil in a food processor or blender and whizz about until smooth. Pour in the oil and season with salt to taste. I also added red pepper flakes.

I served this with fresh fettucini, sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers and a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts. Next time I'll throw in a bit of minced shallot. It was yummy and fresh tasting. It would also be good on pizza.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe