Moroccan-style Chicken with Prunes and Quinoa - Crockpot

From: The Healthy Slow Cooker

I really liked this, but Todd was indifferent. He wasn't crazy about the combination of oregano and prunes, I think, but I thought this was tasty. We don't cook with chicken thighs very often, but after this dish I want to use them more often.

1 1/2 cups chopped pitted prunes
1 1/2 cups water
1 Tbsp liquid honey (Huh? I don't know what that means. I used reg honey)
1 tsp grated lemon zest
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
2 lbs skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (about 8) (I used boneless)
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups quinoa (or use couscous or rice instead)

In a bowl, combine prunes, 1 1/2 cups water, honey and 1 tsp lemon zest. Cover and set aside.

In a slow cooker stoneware, combine garlic, oregano, remaining lemon zest, salt and pepper. Add chicken and toss until evenly coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight. If marinating overnight, refrigerate prune mixture as well.

Add chicken stock and lemon juice to crock and stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 5 hours or on High for 2 1/2 hours or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork. Add prune mixture with liquid. Cover and cook on High for 30 minutes to meld flavors.

Meanwhile, in a pot over high heat, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Add quinoa, stirring to prevent lumps from forming and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.

Serve chicken over quinoa (or substitute couscous or rice).

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love the recipe! I thought that the prunes were going to be too weird but it was great.
I did find that there was a lot of liquid in the slow cooker so I took some out and used it as some of the liquid to cook the quinoa in (gave it great flavour).

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe