Burrito Soup - Crockpot

adapted from Elly Says Opa!


I was intrigued by this recipe but not sure how it would come out. It's certainly not the healthiest soup you could possibly make, but it's pretty tasty! It also satisfies my "it's not real food if it doesn't have meat" husband, who isn't always convinced that my veggie soups are substantial enough for a meal. I used a little less beef broth than the original recipe, but I made up for it by adding a can of diced tomatoes with their juice, and I swished some water around the tomato cans and added that as well. I skipped the rice step because I'm lazy like that. The soup is spicy, but not too spicy for us. If you don't like it as spicy, cut back on the chili powder or cut out the cayenne.

2 tsp. canola oil
1 large onion, diced
1 lb. extra lean ground beef
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
5 cups beef broth (I used 2 small cans, which was 4 cups)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp. aleppo (or any chili powder) I used regular chili powder
1 Tbsp. cumin
2 tsp. oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
2/3 cup corn
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup uncooked rice (or, cook rice separately)

Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat and add oil. Cook the onions for a couple minutes before adding the beef. Brown the beef with the onion and drain if necessary. Put back on the heat and stir in the garlic, just until fragrant.

Pour the beef mixture into the crockpot and then add the tomato sauce, beef broth, diced tomatoes, spices, corn and black beans. Cook on low for…however long you’re gone.

(I didn't use the rice)

Increase temp to high and add the rice, just until cooked. Alternatively you can put the cooked rice in bowls and ladle the soup over it. Garnish with your favorite toppings.

Nutritional Information Per Serving (with 93% lean beef): Calories: 302 / Fat: 7.5g / Carbs: 33.5g / Fiber: 6.3g / Protein: 26g

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe