Vegetables Wellington

From the March 2008 issue of Vegetarian Times. I'm all about the back issues these days. Serves 8 but I halved the recipe because left over reheated puff pastry is never as good as when you've just baked it. I must say that we still had left overs and surprisingly it reheated pretty well. Then again, I don't really think you can go wrong with puff pastry.

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. olive oil, divided
  • 1 lb. asparagus, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
  • 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 5-oz. pkg. baby spinach leaves (I omitted because I didn't think I had any. It was still good.)
  • 1 10-oz. log goat cheese
  • 1 4-oz. jar prepared pesto sauce
  • 1 large egg (I skipped this. It always seems like a waste of an egg).
  • 1 17.3-oz. pkg. frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • 1 16-oz. jar prepared tomato sauce*
  1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Heat 1 Tbs. oil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus, bell peppers, and onion, and sauté 5 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Add spinach, remove from heat, and stir until spinach wilts. Cool.
  2. Combine goat cheese and pesto in bowl (I didn't bother to mix the ingredients. I ended up using less cheese this way). Beat egg with 2 tsp. water in separate bowl.
  3. Lay 1 sheet puff pastry on well-floured work surface. Cut into 8 rectangles. Brush edges of rectangles with egg. Scoop 2 Tbs. sautéed vegetables into center of each rectangle, keeping edges clear. Top with pesto-cheese mixture. Cut remaining puff pastry sheet into 8 rectangles, and place on top of vegetables and cheese, stretching dough gently by hand to cover entire surface. Press edges firmly with fingers or fork to seal tightly. Place on prepared baking sheet, and brush tops with egg. Chill 10 minutes.
  4. Bake 25 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown. Meanwhile, heat tomato sauce in saucepan until warm.
  5. To serve: Spoon 1/4 cup tomato sauce onto plate and top with Wellington.

*So, um, I warmed my sauce in the microwave and forgot about it until after we had eaten our dinner. Oops. It was still very good. I used a different method for constructing the wellingtons than the magazine mentioned but you need to do what works best for you. I used one sheet of pastry and cut it into fourths. I placed the veg, cheese and pesto in the middle and then pulled one corner to the opposite side to make a triangle. It also makes for a nice presentation.

Comments

gwen said…
I want to try this, but the math involved is sort of freaking me out. Is it obvious once you're doing it, like a knitting pattern?

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe