chicken, noodle & broccoli casserole

I found this from Google Recipes, by typing in the random ingredients I happened to have on hand, and I was very happy I did. Note that the recipe things it makes two casseroles in 9x9 dishes; I halved it and somehow came out with one casserole in a very full 9x13 dish. Whatever, math.

1 pound penne or elbow macaroni (I used ziti)
4 T olive oil
1 head broccoli, trimmed into florets, stems peeled and sliced
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut crosswise into thin strips
3 T margarine or butter (I skipped)
1 large onion, chopped
5 garlic cloves, fine chopped
5 T flour
2 t dried thyme
2 t dried basil
1 cup dry white wine
1 can chicken broth (13 oz) plus enough water to make 2 cups
3 cups low-fat milk
2 bay leaves (I skipped)
Pinch ground nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided (I used romano)
(I added panko; regular bread crumbs would also work)
1 carton part-skim (16-oz) ricotta cheese


Preheat the oven to 350.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta until just tender. Drain and toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.

Steam or microwave the broccoli until just crisp-tender. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking, drain and add to the noodles.

In large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and saute the chicken, stirring, until cooked through and just beginning to brown. Remove the chicken from the frying pan and set aside. (So, I have just realized that I didn't do this and left the chicken in the pan the whole time I was making the sauce -- it would probably be better to follow the directions.)

Add 2 tablespoons olive oil plus the margarine and cook the onion until it begins to soften and become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute, until it releases its aroma. Sprinkle with the flour and spices, and stir over medium heat for a couple of minutes.

Slowly add the wine, stirring, then add the chicken broth and milk. Add the bay leaves (I skipped this), bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Stir in the nutmeg, parsley, 1/2-cup cheese and the cooked chicken. Add chicken and sauce to the pasta and broccoli in the mixing bowl and gently combine.

Divide the pasta, chicken and broccoli mixture between two 8-by-11- or 9-by-9-inch baking dishes coated with vegetable oil spray. Top each with spoonfuls of the ricotta, then sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese (and I added some panko, because I didn't have enough cheese).

Wrap one casserole tightly with aluminum foil and freeze for later use. Bake the other at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly and lightly browned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe