Slow Cooker Vegetable Vindaloo

Courtesy of Vegetarian Times Jan/Feb 2008 issue.

Okay, I was supposed to be making potato and chickpea stew from Deborah Madison but I was running out of time and I was planning to make this recipe by the end of the week anyway.

6 C cauliflower florets (I used a big bag of frozen--don't remember the weight)*
2 15.5 oz cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 lg leeks, white and light green parts, sliced in 1" half moons [1.5 C] (I used a regular onion)
1 C tomato sauce (I used a big can of crushed tomatoes)
1/4 C white wine (I omitted and added water instead. I added about 1 C)
2 T minced fresh ginger
2 T curry powder (I used curry paste from the market)
2 t ground cumin
1 t ground cinnamon
1 t chili paste or hot sauce
3 T chopped cilantro (I omitted)
S&P to taste
3 C cooked basmati rice (I used brown)

*you can substitute 3 C potatoes for half the cauliflower. I used potatoes and a lot of cauliflower.

Combine all ingredients except rice and cilantro in your slow cooker. Season with S&P to taste and cook on high for 3 hrs, stirring occasionally. I cooked it on low for 7 hours and then Michael stirred it and turned it to high for another hour so the potatoes would finish cooking. Next time I will chop the potatoes a little smaller. Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro. We ate this with naan from Trader Joe's and a little leftover tzatziki sauce.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe