OMG Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate Chips

This is a slightly modified version of Shannon's recipe and the one from the Joy of Cooking.

There is a stand at the market that sells yummy baked goods like cookies, tarts, etc. and they always have macaroons. Every Sunday I walk by the stand and think about how good their treats look and this morning we finally indulged. We shared a (you guessed it) coconut macaroon with choc chips and it was divine. It tasted so good that I insisted we stop by the grocery store on the way home for some shredded coconut.

2/3 C sweetened condensed milk
1 lg egg white
1/8 t salt
1/2 t vanilla extract
1/2 t almond extract
3.5 C shredded coconut (sweetened--they didn't carry the unsweetened kind at the store)
1/2 C semi-sweet choc chips (mini chips work best here)

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment. Beat eggwhite until foamy and add salt, milk and extracts. Stir in coconut then choc chips. Drop by the tablespoonfull onto the baking sheet. Bake for 17-20 minutes. Let rest a minute before removing cookies to a cooling rack. Cool completely before storing. Enjoy. In fact, enjoy them so much that you don't eat any dinner because you ate macaroons instead.

Makes approximately 32 cookies if you use a small cookie scoop. About 66 kcal per cookie.

Comments

gwen said…
I love that you called these OMG macaroons. Ha.

I am bitter about the fact that of all the random foods in the world, coconut has high levels of "bad" cholesterol. What the hell, coconut, cholesterol is supposed to be about saturated animal fats. So I am going to admire your delicious macaroons from afar... until after my next blood test, and if it's better, I am eating a whole batch of them for dinner...
Kelly said…
It's because they are OMG macaroons. I just kept saying it over and over with every bite. Seriously yummy.
Kelly said…
I made these last night at 9:30 in a fit of "I have to bake something right now" and I wondered why I hadn't made them since I posted the recipe. The answer is just that there are so many great cookie recipes out there that I rarely make the same treat twice in rapid succession. This time I had some unsweetened small flakes and some sweetened larger flakes so I used some of both. Turned out well and I'm so glad I made them.

Popular posts from this blog

Dayton's Famous Pine Club Salad Dressing

Pesto Tortellini Salad

Apple Cranberry Stuffed Pork Roast Recipe